Miso Soup Design
What are my inspirations?
From time to time clients ask me what inspires me. I have been hesitant to add this to my site as my answer may not be the predicatable answers you may except. Certainly I have been inspired by mentors, colleagues & different historical design movements. After University I was mentored by a graduate of the Bauhaus and am keenly aware of historical design "schools" such as Swiss Modernism, Constructivism, Japanese milnimalism as well as current trends that are simpley offshoots of these historical schools. The fundamental inspiration I have are outside of design trends and are situated in the 5 senses we have. This includes:
- Positive, emotional, interactions we have with others, animals, nature, the arts, cinema, music, design, literature, products and more!
- Natural and man made geometrical patterns (e.g. natural landscapes, Zen gardens, architecture, etc.)
- Natural colors such as the turning of the leaves in autumn, a fresh snow fall & the vibrancy of Spring
- The small, taste and colors of cuisines across the world
- Sound: natural, music genres, the pulse of the city & the quitetide of nature
- Photography of my own and others
- A pencil and a blank piece of paper
- Mountains, the sea, a shallow creek brimming with life
I have travelled the world and every country has given me a broad world view. Please take a moment to enjoy the following images and videos.
In addition to design, I am a practicing fine artist, musician and ceramicist. I have held numerous exhibitions of my paintings in major gallerys in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle, Portland, etc.), perfomed either solo, band or ensemble music in the US & Canada. Currently my artistic focus is the Japanese end blown flute - the Shakuhachi.
My photography work includes fine art, documentary, portraits &product/lifestyle photos. I have made my documentary photos free via Wikipedis and the have been used in a variety of contexts: historical research, papers, books & online resopurces - in addition to travel guides & more.
Too hear more about what inspires me, contact me.